As a business owner, you have a primary responsibility to create and manage work orders to provide timely support to your customers.
Many field service technicians find it quite tedious to perform manual work like adding customer information, task details, sharing the job information to service managers, and adding other product/equipment-based information.
But, by using field service reports, they can quickly summarize work done during a customer visit. Also, these reports contain essential information like tasks completed and products or parts used during the service. To know more about field service reports, continue reading this article as we come up with detailed information.
Table of Content
What is a Field Service Report?
A field service report is a document usually filled up by the field staff while working on the job site. It helps you to keep track of work progress and the technician’s performance assigned to do the tasks.
The field service report typically includes:
- Summary and results of every service task
- A vital data related to physical resources and their maintenance
- Customer information
- Equipment specifications
- Inspection summary
What are the Key Elements of a Field Service Report?
After looking at the basics of a field service report, it becomes of prime importance to know about the key elements that you can use in your field service report.
Customer and Technician Information
One of the first things that you need to include in your report is basic information about the customer and even the technician’s information assigned to perform the job.
Customer Information Technician Information
- Customer name
- Customer address
- Contact details
- Company information (If available)
- Technician name
- Expertise level
- Company information
- Category specifying whether he/she is from a third-party contractor or part of the in-house field team
Actions To Be Performed
In this section, you need to define the list of actions that field technicians need to take to solve the customer’s queries. The technicians should specify the details on the defective product/equipment and define the exact procedures to overcome the challenge.
Following are the metrics that help your field technicians to include in the service report:
- The reported issue
- The inspection report including visuals
- The repairs/replacements required
- Follow up audits, if necessary
- Periodic checkup
The above fields are considered the heart of field service reports and give teams the most critical insights into the overall job and performance.
Sign Off From Customer
This element is an acknowledgment process received from the customers on the completion of the task. Here, it becomes essential for the customers to verify every point mentioned in the report and check everything before making a sign to the report.
Once the customer signs the report, it suggests that the service requests have been made successfully. On the other hand, the technician and the service manager also have to sign off on the document to ensure that the task met the customer’s and the business’s expectations.
One of the biggest challenging tasks for you is to track time for field technicians. So, to overcome that particular situation, it is better to include a section where you can mention the total time taken to complete each service.
Moreover, you can also include the section to define the average time taken to perform a specific task, enhancing your scheduling workflows and boosting time management.
What are the Benefits of a Field Service Report in FSM?
Field service reporting plays a vital role in your company’s field service management (FSM) system.
FSM helps you efficiently manage your technicians’ safety and equipment used while serving customers in the field. Moreover, it allows you to improve technician productivity on a large scale.
Let’s highlight the advantages of field service reporting and implementing them on an FSM system:
- Enhances business efficiency and employee productivity – FSM software analyzes customer demands and tracks job status while working on the customer’s location to ensure that clients receive assistance promptly. Moreover, it plays an essential role in reducing operational downtime by constantly monitoring the performance of service professionals and checking their logs regularly.
- Increases profitability – The best way to get more customers in your business is by including efficient and productive technicians. Such technicians have the capabilities to address the customer’s issues immediately in the report and help reduce future repair costs.
- Stores data and ensures compliance – It allows you to maintain the essential audit records and documentation for regulatory compliance. So, you can save all work orders, timesheets, service policies, invoices, and other significant business data in one centralized place.
- Strengthens teamwork – It allows you to share reports across the organization and identify areas for improvement; use data to help develop action plans through collaboration.
Field Service Report Example
To create a field service report, you need to take care of the following metrics:
- Mention the type of service to perform: repair, maintenance, installation, or other work
- Include the description of issues and, if possible, take photos of defects
- Prepare well-maintained and detailed documentation once the job is completed
- Create a summary of the damaged or defective devices
- Participants, which are the client, technician, and field service engineer, should provide digital signatures to validate the report
Many companies make use of a field service report app that makes it easy for them to enter and view the details about the task performed. This field service mobile app is solely responsible for making your work easier, especially in creating service reports.
A service report covers the complete record of a specific work order performed on a daily, monthly, or weekly basis. It plays an essential role to provide real-time insights into the performance of field team members.
Field service reports play an essential role in the life of field service professionals. They can easily include complete information about the services performed while visiting the customer’s locations.
You even have multiple options to download free report templates where you just need to fill a simple form regarding the job to be performed. The reports will make your work easier as you can easily see how much time your field workers have taken to complete the task.
FieldCamp helps you to create detailed and comprehensive reports including activity reports and revenue reports for your business.