Are you planning to hire field service technicians to do daily tasks and jobs for your field service business? But, hiring new and skilled field workers and technicians for your business is not as easy as it sounds.
You need to create an impressive field service technician job description for your company to hire the best worker. We have highlighted all the key points that you need to know about the job descriptions. So, let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Who is a Field Service Technician?
A field service technician is a highly-skilled and well-trained professional who provides an expert solution for in-field installation and related maintenance.
Visiting the customer site to perform equipment installation, repair, troubleshooting, documenting the issues in detail, and creating the reports on job completion is the sole responsibility of a field technician.
However, there are some job titles like the head of a field service technician, office manager, and operation manager that a service worker can get to enhance their career skills.
Field Service Technician Job Description
The field service technician job description should be easy to understand. While the description, it is a must for companies that they write it in a simple language so that job seekers or field service technician comprehends it from job boards. The description must highlight all the important points like roles & responsibilities, job duties, salary estimate, qualifications if any, and specific requirements.
What Does a Field Service Technicians Do? – Responsibilities and Duties
The most common field service technicians’ job responsibilities are performing on-site installation, repairs, maintenance, equipment tracking and management, and testing. However, there are some essential field service technician responsibilities that need to be followed on their daily tasks:
- To visit a customer location to install new equipment and perform testing to check whether it works correctly or not
- To make appropriate usage of the company-owned vehicle for field visits by strictly following the company’s protocols and using field automation systems
- To provide proper guidance or technical training to the customers regarding operating or using such equipment
- To analyze the equipment, perform troubleshooting to diagnose errors or technical problems, and create timely and service reports
- To collaborate with colleagues and team members to share information related to issues and solve the customer support tickets
- To repair equipment, replace faulty parts, and create detailed documentation related to workflow issues to share with the service manager
- To fully understand the customer requirements and providing them with the best suitable suggestions
- To build robust and positive relationships with customers and clients with better work protocol
- To effective generate a detailed report on job completion to provide customer satisfaction
These service technicians’ responsibilities typically enhance business productivity and customer service skills by keeping the job boards’ information.
Field Service Technician Skills and Qualifications
The field service technician must have the following metrics mentioned below to be a part of the field service business.
- High school diploma, technical degree, or proven field service experience
- Strong familiarity in using mobile devices and applications
- High-level experience to analyze, install, test, repairs, and service technical equipment or hand tools
- Ability to deal with providing better customer service and customer satisfaction
- Potential to work with flexible and changing shift work environments
- Excellent problem-solving, communication, critical thinking, and time-management skills
- Ability to travel and work according to a changing schedule of customers
- Physically fit strength and ability to work or repair even heavy equipment
So, the field service technicians can include such skills and qualifications in a job description template or resume so that employers can easily identify the correct candidate for their business.
How to Become a Field Service Technician? (5 Tips)
If you are planning to become a field service technician, then you must follow the tips mentioned below:
- The first thing to become a field engineer is to have postsecondary education, most specifically a high school diploma.
- You need to attend specialized training or on-the-job training to grab the basics of field experience like repair, installation of tools, and even maintenance support of various jobs.
- Various certifications are available from the recognized academic organizations for you, specifically for industries like heavy machinery, electronics, and computer.
- You must be ready to deal with various field service solutions like equipment maintenance, testing strategy, work schedules, operating software, and managing several work orders.
- The essential thing is that you must have the ability to explain to the clients the complex equipment issues and maintenance with ease in a user-friendly manner.
It becomes relatively easy for the field service technicians to create a resume by following these tips. So they just need to input their values into a field service technician job description template available in the market.
I hope you are now ready to create a field service technician job description for your company to gain field service success.
For employers and employees, the field service technician job template is an essential factor that helps them easily create the job profile and share it with the technical team to proceed ahead.