Are you planning to hire field service workers for your business? Do you want in-depth information on field service technician job description? Well, in this blog, I have shared detailed information about this role. Who a field service technician is, their job description, skills, and qualification requirements.
It will help you immensely in hiring competent field technicians for your business. You will be able to pose the right interview questions in front of them.
Table of Contents
Who is a Field Service Technician?
A field service technician is responsible for helping clients install, repair, and maintain equipment. They also guide customers on how to use their equipment.
The essential duties of a field service technician are troubleshooting the equipment, advising the customer on how to use the equipment, building relationships with customers, and following company procedures.
They also have to create reports of the customer service calls. Some of the jobs titles that a field service technician could grow into are office manager and senior field technician.
Field Service Technician Job Description
Here are essential field service technician duties that every worker has to follow on their daily tasks:
- Offer services and assist customers during site visits
- Manage the workflow as per the given schedule
- Handle the entire on-site fitting, repair, and maintenance
- Diagnose faults or technical issues and find proper solutions
- Produce detailed service reports for the field visits
- Perform the document procedures
- Operate the company-owned automobile with safety along with field automation systems
- Follow organizational field processes and protocols
- Follow up with the technical crew and share data across the business
- Comprehend consumer needs and make suitable suggestions
- Build confident relationships with customers with better work protocols. Must have excellent communication skills
- Perform the cabling, wire folding, and pulling of the required cable with basic routing skills. Also, site installation and repair maintenance
- Know everything about essential high and low-density fiber-optical systems, copper, and RF Transport devices
- Implement secondary power distribution devices and fusing projects.
- Test and perform troubleshooting for faulty devices and turn-up
- Perform configuration, fixing, data routing of the switching mechanisms.
- Accustomed to using mobile tools and application
Do You Want to Track Your Field Service Technicians in Real-Time?
With FieldCamp, get every field technician’s status instantly. You’ll know what each field tech is doing at any time of day or night.
What Are The Skills And Qualification Requirements For Field Service Technicians?
A field service technician should have the following skills and qualification:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Ability to lift to 55 pounds
- Ability to stand on your feet up to 8 hours a day
- Excellent customer service skills
- Amazing problem-solving skills with proper solutions
- A technical degree is preferable
- Ability to diagnose problems with equipment
- Great mechanical aptitude
- Communication skills in English
- Familiarity with mobile tools and applications
- Ability to perform site installation and repair maintenance
The highest average salary for a Field Technician in the United States is $66,373 per year. The lowest salary is $29,515 per year.
The Field service technician job has received a satisfaction rating of 3.74 out of 5, based on 2,226 responses. On average, field service workers are highly satisfied with their job.
An ideal field technician brings several interpersonal skills to their role. Consumers are primarily interested in technician’s effectiveness. They’re looking for them to arrive on-site, accurately diagnose the problem, and complete the repair as quickly as possible.
FieldCamp – Efficient Scheduling and Dispatching Software
Quickly assign jobs to your field technician. Start 14-Days Free Trial Now and Choose Your Plan Later.
You are now armed with all the information to begin the process of recruiting field service workers for your business. Start with creating a list of interview questions that you will ask them.
But wait! Once you have a team of field service technicians, how will you manage them? Don’t worry, as I have a solution for that too. FieldCamp is an FSM software that will make it easy for you to manage your technicians. You will know what each of them is doing at any time of day or night. Visit the website and sign up for the free trial today!