Are you planning to start your own landscape business? But confused about how to start, where to start, what are the costing parameters, and even the essential tools required to start your business from scratch?
Don’t worry! We have come up with a complete guide on how to start a landscaping business that helps you overcome the complexities that you face regularly. Without any further ado, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
The Basics of Landscaping and Lawn Care Business
What is Landscaping?
Landscaping is nothing but an activity that makes your yard or piece of land more attractive by performing various alterations to the visible features of an area of land.
- Living elements: vegetation, plant, plant life, Flora-and-Fauna, lichen
- Natural elements: water, earth forms, stone, timber, stone, and elevation,
- Abstract elements: weather and lighting conditions
Commercial vs. Residential Landscaping
Commercial and Residential Landscaping are the two key components or parts of Landscaping industries that work differently. Let us now highlight the fundamental difference between them that helps you get a basic idea.
|Commercial Landscaping||Residential Landscaping|
|Enhances the aesthetics, appeal and value of the commercial space||Used by inmates of the house|
|Built explicitly for money generation, so the scope is high||The scope is low and is more cost-efficient|
|Features are more extensive, like a waterfall or fountain||Features are less like a small garden, flowers|
|Require high budget||Require low budget|
8 Steps to Start a Landscaping Business from Scratch in 2021
1 – Choose The Best Name for Your Landscaping Business
Branding plays a significant role in your landscape business. The business name is the first thing that many people notice to see or hear when you start your landscaping company for the first time.
So, you need to search more and select an attractive business name for your business. The landscaping business owners must keep in mind the essential tips to choose the best name.
- The name of your landscape business must be such that it matches your business domain name
- The name should be unique and attractive that stand out from the crowd. Just make sure that the business name must be generic or something that makes it easy for people to read
- Keep it simple, short and to the point. This is because people struggle more to read the long and complicated name
- Try to include in the name what your business does. For example, by having “lawn” or “landscape,” your customers can easily understand the business
- Don’t ever try to bluff or include your name in the business name
2 – Define Business Plan and Goals of Your Business
Once step 1 is ready, the next step is to identify your business goals for the current year. If your goal is ready, you get what you want in your new business.
The business owners of a lawn care company must ask the following questions themselves:
- What is the primary reason to start a lawn maintenance business?
- How many working hours do you need?
- How do you want your first customer to be?
- What will be your vision and mission statement?
- Where do you want to find your first customer?
A proper and robust business planning is a must when looking to start a landscape business or enhance your existing landscaping business. A business plan help your lawn care business services to
- Raise funding
- Plan out the business growth of the lawn care industry
- Improve the chance to achieve landscape business success
Finally, it’s a living document that needs yearly updates as the company grows and adapts to multiple changes.
Are you planning to start your own cleaning business? [Read More]
3 – Select the Business Structure to Apply
If you want to start a new lawn care or landscape company, the essential thing is that you need to select the business structure.
Generally, a small business can opt for one of the following options:
|Sole proprietorship||Partnership||Limited liability company (LLC)|
|A business owned by a single individual||Best for two or more people together forming a landscaping business||Grab the advantages of both corporations and partnership structures|
|Handles all the information related to business financials||Limited Partnerships (LP): One landscape professional partner with unlimited liability||Delivers the structural simplicity of a sole proprietorship and liability protection of a corporation|
|An excellent option for low-risk businesses||Limited Liability Partnerships (LLP): Each partner possesses the same liability||LLC owners are responsible for filing a tax return and pay the tax directly at an income tax rate|
4 – Identify the List of Master Services to Incorporate
When you plan to start your own landscaping industry, you must know what your competitors are up to and what customers are showing more interest in.
Based on the above constraints mentioned, the business owners need to identify the list of services they need to offer to their potential customers. In addition to it, they need to do detailed research on the offerings and pricing set for competitors.
One of the best recommendations to select the best services is to perform surveys on homeowners and businesses about current landscaping needs. Moreover, you can also offer impressive discounts available for further maintenance services.
Below is the list of landscaping services that help your lawn care or landscape industry:
- Lawn or landscape maintenance
- Spring and fall cleanups
- Landscape design
- Landscape architecture
- Tree and shrub pruning and removal
5 – List Startup Expenses
For starting a new landscape industry, you need to take care of constraints related to startup costs.
You may need to know about the common startup expenses involved in landscaping companies. Apart from the necessary landscaping equipment costing factors, there are other gardening tools to be included in your business expenses.
- Mobile device with internet access
- Business license and business insurance
- Powerful pickup truck
- Leaf blower
- Gas cans
- Trimmer, edger, and blower
- Gardening shovel
- Grass clippings
- Master toolbox for simple repairs
- Fertilizers and pesticides
- Equipment with security measures
- Noise canceling headphones
- Safety goggles
- Steel-toed boots
- Sturdy gloves
A business owner must always be ready to overcome calculating work overtime and wage and hour violations by including employment law liability insurance.
6 – Opt for Business License & Legal Requirements
For starting a new landscape business, you need to obtain a business license. It is just a relatively simple process of authorizing various business factors.
Apart from having a business license, you must have an Employer Identification Number (EIN) that allows you to set up business commerce accounts to receive tax breaks for business expenses.
Want to know how to get a license?
You just need to contact the county clerk’s office that helps you get the complete information about the licenses you need and without any error or potential restrictions.
7 – Hire Best Resources for Your Business
For building a new landscaping business from the bottom line, the essential step is that business owners must hire a small crew that can quickly handle more customers.
However, for hiring the best resources in your business, you should keep in mind the following consideration:
- Hire the cheapest resources: For enhancing your business strength, you need landscape professionals with higher salaries who possess strong experience. It does not mean that a person with a lower salary will not reflect your service quality, just that you need to be careful about the work.
- Be careful when hiring friends or family: If you have decided to include your friends and family members as your resources, then you need to be ready to control your tense situation when some conflict arises. Moreover, you need to control your full emotions and personal queries out of the scope of landscaping work. So, just be professional with your dear ones.
- Look for an amiable person: Client services play a vital role in running a landscape business or hiring the best individuals for your business. You need to select an individual that performs the job work as per the expectation and is solely responsible for enhancing your business performance to a great extent by delivering the best customer service.
8 – Market Your Landscaping Business
Branding or marketing your landscape business is something like giving life to your business in such a way that they are more attractive to potential clients.
Let’s now discuss some of the exciting ways that you can apply the marketing strategy to your small business in both online and offline mode.
- Paid ads: For attracting new customers, you can opt for paid ads on Google, Facebook, and other social media platforms.
- Referrals: One of the best ways to get started with your new business is to share the referral links with your friends and family to enhance the performance.
- Search engine optimization (SEO): The best way to organize your direct traffic from Google directly to your company website.
- Social media: Make your business more popular using Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and more by sharing website content to your target audience.
So, you can include these essential steps in your business plan in such a way that it quickly enhances your business strength and performance.
Pros & Cons of Starting a Lawn Business
- As a business owner, it becomes relatively easy to organize your work schedule as per your time and availability. Moreover, it allows you to take your valuable time as per your job availability to spare more time on other tasks. For example, planting and lawns require special attention in the morning and evening so that landscapers can work on that particular task. This brings insurance to business owners to concentrate more on other tasks and workers.
- To get into the landscape industry and develop a new landscape business consists of a painless business model. It means that it brings insurance to entrepreneurs to easily copy, grab a franchise, or scale their business area more efficiently. They just need a small list of equipment, a lower-cost of labour, and very few transportation costs. They can even opt for purchasing the best franchise from the landscape contractors depending on the business budget and goals.
- The most exciting part about landscaping businesses is that you have complete freedom to select your client lists. So, you can choose the inspiring lawn care services to your nearest client location, which in turn saves your time and fuel-costs. Moreover, it allows you to create a list of clients to deal with your employees to work on flexible hours, i.e. per-hour basis.
- The landscape business is a stable and repeat business that allows an impressive way to deal with customer base solutions.
- Fierce competition is the primary conflict to start a new landscape business. Nowadays, you will find many lawn care professionals and lawn care companies providing a list of their business services to grab more attractive customers. One of the best tips is that you can research more about your area and ask the existing landscaping companies regarding the experience they feel.
- Another major constraint that many lawn care businesses are facing is high labour costs. You may need to know that the landscape business is labour-intensive as you may require workers like an expert gardener, landscapers, and cost-effective materials. Apart from these costs, you also need to consider the training costs to train more employees to get your business more excellent resources. As the landscaping businesses are seasonal, you need to be ready with high turnover rates.
What Tools Do You Need to Start A Landscaping Business in 2021?
For starting a landscaping business, you need to include essential tools as mentioned below:
- Well-maintained Lawn Mower: Your lawn mower should be wholly robust and reliable for your new landscape business. As it will be used daily, the best recommendation is to opt for a commercial lawn mower rather than home-usage.
- Collection of gardening tools: For any landscaping industry, there exist various gardening tools that help a landscaper to get rid of a manual landscaping job. A dispatcher can make use of a gardening shovel, stiff-toothed rake, and even weed puller.
- Leaf blower for grass and leaves removal: Grass and leaves from the driveways and sidewalks are easily removed using a leaf blower as compared to a rake. In addition to it, leaf blowers are also used to gather leaves in the yard and even remove loose debris.
- Core lawn fertilizer: For your landscaping industry, you must have lawn fertilizer to help you take care of client’s lawns during the spring and late fall seasons.
- Safety gear and equipment: The landscape architects/employees must wear safety gear when dealing with hazardous plants like poison ivy. Also, the landscapers/employees should wear full-sleeve shirts and long pants to minimize the amount of exposed skin.
- Truck or trailer: For transportation purposes, the landscapers use trucks or trailers to transfer the supplies or materials from one location to another. A landscaper must have a valid license to operate the vehicle.
You need to bring insurance about the proper equipment maintenance and make sure to provide better security to every piece of equipment required.
However, there are many questions that arise in your mind with reference to the landscaping business, so we have come up with a few questions in the next section.
Starting a landscaping business without any work experience is possible using the following steps:
- By initiating with maintaining a garden, rather than opting for landscaping
- Spending a few hours helping people at local allotments
- Analyzing what you see in existing lawns and makes keynotes on it
Generally, the cost for building a landscaping business depends on the essential factors like:
- Business registration
- Landscaping equipment
- Labour rates
- Buying or renting office space
Building a new landscaping business by having no money in hand is to apply a good idea of using a push mower broom and homeowner trimmer for cleaning purposes. In short, you can try using the home materials that are available for free or are used regularly.
Landscaping industries are nowadays involved in enhancing the customer base by delivering the best cleaning services.
We have seen the step-by-step guide through which you can include the necessary metrics in your marketing plan. Starting from deciding your business name to market your landscape business, everything is included to enhance your business growth to a great extent.
To get the exact cost of the fitness app, you can get in touch with us and share your requirements. To give the basic idea, we have provided the approximate hours to develop the major features of the fitness app. So, you can calculate the total hours with the per-hour rate of any developer to get the approximate cost.