As an entrepreneur, are you planning to gain massive success in your cleaning business? But confused about where to start?
No worries. This article is for you. We have highlighted the essential tips for starting a cleaning business to help you become your company’s boss.
The topics covered here will make you go through the essential information related to the cleaning service business and how you can enhance the beauty of your client’s home or office.
So let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Overview of Cleaning Service Business
A cleaning services business typically follows CDC-recommended procedures to provide cleanliness services like window cleaner, green cleaning, vacuuming, waxing, and many more.
Usually, there are two basic categories involved in the cleaning service business. They are:
- Residential cleaning service: A cleaning company that provides quality services in homes with fewer operating costs.
- Commercial cleaning service: A cleaning company that provides cleaning solutions like office buildings and waxing, window cleaning, and even service related to deep disinfecting the various sections of office buildings.
8 Tips for Starting a Cleaning Service Business from Scratch in 2021
As a business owner, it becomes prime importance for you to understand the essential tips and tricks mentioned below to enhance your business efficiency.
Decide for Easy-to-Remember Business Name and Catchy Business Logo
A business name along with a catchy logo is the primary identity where the clients acknowledge your business. So, in your business model, you should decide on a business name such that it must:
- Be professional and unique
- Be search engine friendly
- Include your basic maid service information
- Not conflict with an already registered business
Moreover, the company logo that you design or create on your own will also be helpful for marketing materials like business cards, business vehicles, and other promotional activities.
Plan and Set Your Budget
Many small business owners need to perform budget pre-planning as a top-priority and on-demand task. They need to consider all the essential and possible profit and loss margins when starting a new business.
For setting up your budget, you need to take care of the following metrics in your business plan for providing services to home cleaning/office cleaning:
- Costs for cleaners
- Cleaning products and cleaning supplies cost for household chores or commercial cleaning services
- Costs for cleaning chemicals
Making Use of Referral Policies in Your Marketing Strategy
To get new customers to cleaning businesses is by spending less money is to opt for the referral programs. One of the best examples is using word-of-mouth methods in your marketing strategy or when someone recommends your cleaning services to their friends and a family member.
Using referrals, the clients get full assurance that your company name is their priority among different cleaning companies when planning to clean their home or office. Also, you can enhance the customer service experience by rewarding the customers for their referral.
Decide on the Prime Location of your Office
For the cleaning businesses to have more employees to work, the business owners need to buy or rent office space.
The employees will have ample space to function and can even communicate with the customers face-to-face.
The best recommendation is to set up your office at a location where you find more senior citizens residing. It becomes easy for them to visit your office, look out for the cleaning services you offer, and become your potential customers.
For any cleaning industry, having a business vehicle is of prime importance. When you plan to start a cleaning business, you need to checkout or analyze in detail for the transport vehicles to carry your essential cleaning supplies.
As per your business requirements, you can include a fuel-saving wagon, easy-to-control and easily bear a heavy load of cleaning supplies.
During the startup, it’s the perfect choice to start cleaning by yourself. But as your business grows, you need to include more employees in your team to perform cleaning jobs, and also, you need ample space to work at the same time.
By hiring employees in your business, you get a chance to concentrate more on other tasks, and most importantly, your business operations work faster.
Expand Your Business Horizons
Once everything is well-settled, you can include additional on-demand services in your company to enhance the client list. Nowadays, the carpet cleaning business is the most prominent example that helps carpet cleaners offer the best services to their clients with minimal effort.
Also, you can even initiate by creating a checklist of all essential cleaning supplies that are mandatory to run your successful business.
Identify the Company’s Specialty
Cleaning businesses are well-known for providing efficient cleaning services like carpet cleaning, commercial cleaning sector for corporate offices, residential cleaning companies, green cleaning, and many others.
You must be ready to include the cleaning services, whether residential or commercial, depending on the customer’s needs. Moreover, you can consist of some specialized services that other businesses are not offering in your competition.
So, these are the key steps that you can implement when you are planning to start your own cleaning business. However, there may be many questions still arising in your mind related to such topics; we have come up with the frequently asked questions in the next section.
For starting a cleaning business from scratch, a business owner needs to make sure the following steps are taken into consideration.
- Try cleaning by yourself
- Be specific about the budget you set for your business
- Be ready with a list of cleaning equipment and supplies
- Give the best branding name to your cleaning business
- Perform all the legal formalities like license and insurance
- Market your cleaning business
- Hire more staff to increase business productivity
- Adopt cleaning scheduling software in your business
- You can initiate with lower capital
- Work in conjunction with janitorial business
- Cash disbursement at regular interval
- Try to buy equipment in advance
- Minimal labour costs
- No degree or technical knowledge is essential for cleaners
As per the recent survey by Home Advisor, it has been found that the average cost can range from $90 to $150 and based on the hourly rate, it can cost from $25 to $90 per cleaner.
- First, you need to consult your local government to analyze what process to follows
- Fill the essential forms to register your business
- You need to decide whether you want to go for sole proprietorship or franchise
- Apply for your business license
- Look after your employees
- Position your maid services as “contactless”
- Adjust your marketing message
- Diversify your services
- Apply for a business line of credit
- Direct Mail
- Social Media
- Email Marketing
- Business license, permits, and registration fees
- Buying insurance policies
- Cleaning products and cleaning supplies
- Equipment required
- Marketing and advertising costs
- Labour costs at an hourly rate
- Develop a responsive website
- Build a strong partnership with local cleaning business
- Offers atypical services to customers in bidding process
- Make use of referral programs
So, by looking at the tips mentioned in this article, it is clear that starting a cleaning business is relatively simple.
Starting from giving a name to marketing your cleaning business involves many metrics that you need to encounter. But, if fulfilled with proper care, no one can stop you from becoming the boss of your business.