Field service technicians are the pillars of the field service management industry. They provide essential on-site services like installations, repairs, maintenance, diagnosing errors, identifying technical problems, and suggesting solutions for them.
So, if you are having a question like how much does a field service technician make, then it depends on several factors. Let’s discuss detailed information on the average salary estimates of field service engineers and technicians state-wise.
Table of Content
State-wise Field Service Technician Salary in the United States
Here, we have shared the average salary of the Field Service Technician. Let’s take a look at the field service technician salaries:
|State||Average salaries of field service technicians annually||Hourly Rate of field service technician|
Want To Manage Your Team of Field Technicians With a Few Clicks?
With FieldCamp, manage an entire team of field technicians, automate job scheduling, payment processing, and invoice management.
Field Service Technician Job Responsibilities
After discussing how much field service engineers make, the next question arises to mind what a field service technician does. A field service engineer’s base salary range is quite good when you compare it to the salaries of related field service technician jobs.
So, one is likely to be more interested in details like the job description and the duties and responsibilities of a field service technician. But, also, there are various essential considerations that you need to take into account during the hiring process in your business.
There are many different opportunities for a person interested in becoming a field service technician/personnel. Some of them are:
- Service Technician Lead
- Field Service Engineer
- Field Service Specialist
- Field Service Technician
- System Technician
- Electronics Technician
- Maintenance Technician
These are only some of the job titles of people interested in becoming field service personnel. One of the essential elements of a company is compensation data, so do not forget that point.
One can select from the different options and specialize in the desired field for a higher field service technician salary range and job profile. Some of the responsibilities of a field service technician are:
- Provide service and customer support during field visits
- Manage all on-site activities like installation, repair, maintenance, testing, etc
- Diagnose errors correctly and provide the right solutions
- Produce timely and detailed service reports
- Process all per and post-service documents effortlessly.
- Operate vehicles, machines, and other equipment in a safe manner
- Follow the company’s filed procedures and protocols.
- Build a positive relationship with customers
- Cooperate with other departments like IT, Customer Service, and HR
These are the general duties that any field personnel is expected to follow. However, if you are a field service engineer, project manager, heavy equipment field service technician, additional responsibilities come with the job alerts.
Pros and Cons of Being a Field Service Technician
- The first and foremost advantage of becoming a field service technician is the ability you get to work with machines and other equipment.
- The ability to do work in new locations and not from an office chair
- Freedom of work and trust from supervisors
- The chance to learn something new every day
- Every day is different, and unpredictability makes the work exciting
- The schedule is very inconsistent
- Unpredicted problems on-site can affect all the appointments for the day
- Most of your time is spent on the road
- Traffic jams are unavoidable and can cause a lot of stress
- The work can become hectic if things don’t go as planned
After looking at the detailed information on the salary range of a field service engineer, it’s time to see some of the frequently asked questions to answer your queries.
You will need a high school diploma or equivalent experience level to become a field technician. Although, some job titles will require a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field. Many only require an associate degree or vocational school certificate and provide on-the-job training to new joiners.
According to payscale.com, based on 2,443 reviews, the job of a field service technician has a job satisfaction of 3.74 out of 5. Not every job is perfect for everyone, and if you are wondering the answer to this question, we recommend reading the pros and cons we have covered in this blog.
The four essential skills any technician should have is:
- Physical ability
- Attention to detail
Take Your FSM Business to Next Level With FieldCamp
Simplify how you run your FSM company with our software. Automate all your business operations like job scheduling, and payment processing.
Technicians’ salary range depends on several factors, but I hope you have gotten an idea regarding how much they make and their responsibilities in the field. So, it’s the best time to take your first step into this industry.