Are you planning to start your own HVAC business this year? Then, you have made the perfect decision and have landed at the right place.
This article covers almost all the necessary information on the HVAC business and will answer how to start an HVAC business from scratch. We have covered the essential steps and shared some of the business tips that help you start your business.
So let’s get started.
Table of Contents
What is HVAC Business?
HVAC is an abbreviation for Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning.
The HVAC business typically requires a small investment in time and resources, and then it grows gradually at its own pace.
Some of the services that HVAC provides are:
- Gas/oil heating
- Air conditioning
- Air ventilation
- Air distribution
The HVAC business typically handles the climate control systems that are installed in our home or office buildings. HVAC businesses quickly adopt the new innovative techs to enhance the performance of both HVAC firms and technicians.
Key Steps For Starting an HVAC Business in 2021
Let us now see the steps that will make it easy for business owners who are planning to start a new HVAC business.
1 – Write Your Business Plan
For starting a successful HVAC business, you must begin with an effective business plan. A business plan defined the complete roadmap of your running business operations.
If you plan to take funds from banks or investors, you need to create a solid business plan mentioning the complete and appropriate details about the working operation.
Such a strategy helps them know about your business goals, finance conditions, and also your business. The business owners of HVAC companies need to consider the following metrics in their business plan.
- Cover page: It should contain your attractive logo, company name, roles & responsibilities, mission, vision, address, and contact details.
- Executive summary: Here, you need to summarize your company information like income and expense forecast, required funding details, and what makes you different from other competitors.
- Business overview: You can describe the technical details of your company like type, trading name, and most importantly, the business structure.
- Business description: You can mention your company information like goals (short-term or long-term), location, and services like furnace repair, air conditioning installation, and tankless water heater installation.
- Market analysis: Make proper research on the running market and competitors to identify the target market’s age and income and their relationship to managing the services.
However, there are various business plan templates available in the market that make your work easy to create proper planning.
2 – Make a Decision on Startup Costs
To start an HVAC business is not a cheap approach. However, one of the biggest mistakes that many business owners make is forgetting to include all the business expenses during the starting stage.
You need to take more time and include all the parameters into action. The average startup cost of starting the HVAC industry is slightly higher as you need to purchase a vehicle and equipment.
Generally, HVAC companies are incomplete unless proper and cost-effective tools are not included in your business. You need to consider the costs of general tools like a battery, testers, tape measure, tool-kit, drill machine, etc.
Additionally, some other HVAC tools like shears, crimper, tin snips, drive bender, staple gun, and even some heating and air conditioning units.
The website plays a vital role in your HVAC company as it includes a list of services you offer to your clients. Along with the website, there are other cost factors of marketing materials like business cards and door tags.
3 – Apply For HVAC License and Business Registration
To start your HVAC business, you, as an owner, need to make sure that you have applied for the legal laws to operate your business.
A license is mandatory as it is related to regulating trades daily. Usually, there exist different types of licenses you can opt for based on your business location and expertise in HVAC.
Once you obtain a license from your state or government authority, you need to register your business. For registration, you need to make sure that the following items are available with you:
- Your business name: The small business owners must select a name that sounds unique, professional and describe the services you offer.
- Contact information: You need to provide an appropriate business phone number and email.
- Business address: You have to include your office’s address, whether it is owned by your or is a rental property.
- Business license and registration: Just provide the license number, tax number, and registration number to prove that you are doing legal operations.
- Trade License: Many states need a trade license from a government authority to start a new HVAC company.
- Business insurance and bonds (LLC): Having protection and separating personal assets is essential. Insurance and bonds do the same for you.
You need to perform each of the metrics mentioned above to start an HVAC company for the first time. No doubt, it’s going to cost you more during the starting stage.
Additionally, you can also contact an expert consultant or business advisor if you are stuck somewhere.
4 – Market Your HVAC business
Marketing is an essential metric that helps your business to get more and more customers regularly. The HVAC business is not an exception.
There are different marketing methods that you can include in your business to enhance productivity and customer service to a great extent.
- Building a robust website mentioning everything related to your services
- Making use of SEO for enhancing target audience
- Creating a useful Facebook business page
- Working with social media ads as a marketing strategy
- Using email marketing for reaching more customers
- Making use of word of mouth to connect with potential customers
- Invest in flyers and business cards
- Collect online client reviews
- Create a client referral program
- Bring in more work with a lead generation site
- Test out PPC ads
- Take advantage of Google My Business and LSA’s
- Brand your vehicles using stickers
- Upsell your HVAC services by marketing to clients onsite
5 – Set Customer Service Standards
Customer service is the essential aspect to get huge business success. A service provider may want to make the business grow by providing the best services to the customers.
To be on top of the competition, you must provide excellent customer service that is entirely different from other competitors. Your goal must be to make more clients by using the services and recommending others to use them.
To set customer service standards in your business model, there are two possible ways:
- By hiring employees who sustain your business values
- Treating your customers with empathy and compassion
6 – Launch Your HVAC Business
Now, it’s time to inform everyone that your HVAC company is ready to hit the market. You can start by sharing the information with your friends and family members because they are prepared to take a party from you.
However, there are some of the best techniques that help you to share awareness among the public.
- Before a few days before launching, you need to be ready with websites, local listings, and even social media pages and start working on SEO
- You need to ask your friends and family to check Facebook pages and share their reviews on Google My Business
- Before launching, just two months ago, send the executive summary about your business to a local news channel and inform them of the date of opening your business.
- Doing an email campaign about your launch
- Distributing flyers to the local areas by briefing the company information
- Using Facebook ads or Google ads by taking multiple online training courses or talking to a professional advertiser.
You may also like to read:
Field Service Technician Job Description – Important Things to Know in 2021
What To Consider Before Starting an HVAC Business? – 6 Important Tips
1 – Choose a Specialization
You need to identify the services that you can deliver the best to your customers on the bottom line.
With its flexibility feature, the HVAC industry comes up with several services that can easily benefit customers and your business productivity.
If you are weak in a specific service area where there is high competition, you can easily opt for training. There are some standard services that you can include in your business, like troubleshooting:
- Heat pumps
- Gas furnaces or gas heating
- Air conditioning units
You can also consult on ENERGY STAR appliances for homes or commercial buildings or specializing in other areas of expertise.
2 – Create a Growth-Oriented Business Plan
The next thing you need to consider is how to expand your client base in the coming years. Moreover, you also need to plan out for something that helps you to enhance your profit margins.
On an initial level, you can start your business by keeping fewer working hours, and as time goes on, you can increase your timing as per the workload your company has.
Likewise, you can also make a list of clients that can be quickly served within a week, thereby improving the chance to reach the financial goals.
As it involves more physical labor, you need to make sure that it does not overbook and provide high-quality services to its leading customers.
3 – Pricing
One of the biggest and complex considerations to keep in mind is to fix a price point for starting a new HVAC company.
You need to make a list of mandatory items like labor, essential consumables, and, most notably, taxes.
Apart from these essential parameters, you also need to consider the hidden costs as it plays a vital role for the sales team to enhance your business productivity. Tools deprecation and equipment maintenance are examples of it.
If the business owners start charging heavily compared to other competitors, they will surely lose their customers. It does not mean that you need to keep very low pricing just for customer attraction, as it leads to reducing your business performance.
Research well for the charges that other competitors keep. So, you’ll get an overall idea to keep the pricing that suits the best for you and your customers.
4 – Partner With Construction Firms
As a business owner or service contractor/HVAC contractor, you need to look out for searching the local construction and remodeling organizations. Just make them ready to become a partner with you by proving then you are a dependable HVAC resource.
The biggest and best long-term leads that HVAC business owners can opt for commercial and residential building contractors. The reason behind it is that they possess a healthy skill level to build homes and office buildings from the ground up.
Also, the project managers involved in renovation purposes may require HVAC industry experts to determine if a unit for heating or air conditioner unit should be repaired or replaced.
5 – Tools and Equipment
Now, you need to get all the essential equipment that helps the workers to work on the job site.
You need to get started by making a list of all the essential tools that make HVAC work easier. They play an indispensable role in installing, repair, and even replace the systems. In addition to it, you can also include advanced equipment with the latest technology.
However, some essential devices like drill machines, pipe wrenches, tape measure, staple guns, and more that you can include in your business.
6 – Field Management Suite
Finally, you can include field service management (FSM) software in your HVAC business. FSM software smoothly manages your daily operations.
With its impressive feature to streamline field-based operations, you can easily make your hard work more comfortable managing and efficiently dealing with your target market.
FSM software is a boon for many home service businesses as it provides essential features like:
- Job schedule and dispatch
- Work order management
- Mobile access
- Parts inventory management
- Case, contact, and order management
- Auto-invoice generation capabilities to prompt revenue generation
- Automated customized reports
- Push notifications
- Seamless integration with the inventory control system
So, these were the essential tips that help your HVAC company generate more revenue and improvise business productivity. After looking at the steps and tips, many questions will still be arising in your mind, so in the next section, we have come up with a FAQ.
The HVAC industry includes average startup costs a bit higher as you need to purchase a used vehicle and work to keep your equipment costs low. On average, the price could easily reach $100,000 if you are buying everything.
For generating revenue, you need to be perfect in planning your business. Some of the best recommendations that you can do are:
- Writing an effective plan
- Add upselling into your marketing plan
- Focus on customer service
- Improve your scheduling and efficiency
- Collect deposits
- Improve your invoicing strategy
To find the perfect HVAC technician for your work, word of mouth is the best method you can opt for. If you feel that the technician cannot perform well or is not having a firm reference, you can quickly need another option.
To become a boss of your HVAC business is quite interesting as you need to deal with lots of work to gain business success.
If you apply the steps mentioned in this article, no one can stop you from starting an HVAC company with enhanced business growth. Just you need to be careful when you are creating your business plan, licenses, and other essential tools.